Nobody would want to go through a cold winter without a central heating system, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some trade-offs for that warmth. Dry air in your home can cause a number of problems, including static electricity, damage to wood flooring and furniture, dry skin, dry lips, dry nasal passages, and more. Thankfully, there are some things you can do to remedy these issues and still enjoy a warm home. Here are a few suggestions:
- Increase moisturizer use- If your central heating system is drying out your skin, consider using more hand & body moisturizer than you normally use.
- Use lip moisturizer- Keep your lips from drying out by using a lip balm.
- Pay attention to soaps- You might try using a different bar soap or liquid shower soap than you normally use. Choose one that has extra moisturizers.
- Cooler water- Hot water can dry out your hands and skin even when your central heating system isn’t drying you out. While a hot shower is nice on a cold day, if you want to avoid dry skin, consider using slightly cooler water.
- Share the steam and vapor- Any time you are using water, consider how you can let that contribute to the moisture in your home. For example, leave the bathroom door open when showering to let the steam travel and set your dishwasher to air dry and open the door.
- DIY humidifier- You can add moisture to the air by placing a pot of water on the stove occasionally and letting it boil. Even placing bowls or pots of water around the house so they can evaporate can help.
- Use a humidifier- Of all the methods given, the most effective by far for raising humidity levels in your home is to use a humidifier. There are both portable units you can move around your house, or for convenience and ultimate effectiveness, consider a whole-home humidifier that is installed by your central heating system.
If you are concerned your central heating system is going to make things too dry at your home, give us a call at Cook’s Heating & Cooling to learn about humidifier installation. We also provide maintenance services for humidifiers and do humidifier repair.